Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

I got a couple of new toys today.



When I work from home, I like to sit on the couch and use my laptop.  I have it on a laptop table whose legs go under the couch, so I can pull the table close to me.  It's nice being able to be comfortable while working, right?  I even have a little stool under my table so I can stretch out my legs and rest my feet on it.  Ahhh, so nice!

One thing I didn't like, though, was that I only had the one screen, my laptop screen.  At work, I have multiple monitors that I use.  I can test a program on one screen and debug the code for it on another.  It's nice!  So, I wondered if someone made a "portable" LCD flat panel screen.  I figured that if they did, I could use it in conjunction with my laptop.  Sure enough, a quick search on Amazon resulted in a few hits for "USB portable LCD screen".  

Wonderful!  I found one that I liked (linked below) and ordered it.  However, if you remember, I'm on a laptop table at home.  There's no real estate there for two monitors.  So, I also did a search for some type of stand that would let me put my portable screen above my main screen.  I found something that worked perfectly and ordered it, too (also linked below).

Well, they both arrived today and within minutes, I had a dual screen set-up on my laptop.  You wouldn't believe how thin that LCD screen is!  It plugs directly into the USB port on my laptop, so there's no need for an external power source or power cord.  Here's a picture of how it looks from the front.  I don't have that great of a camera, so forgive the quality, please.


The cool thing is, I can carry the whole set-up (the laptop, the portable screen, and the screen stand) in my laptop bag easily.  The stand folds flat, and doesn't take up a lot of space.  The portable screen came with a slip-case, so it'll be protected while in the laptop bag.  I work from home three days a week, but I can easily work from anywhere with my two screens, as long as there's reliable wifi.  No need for an extra power plug-in, either!

Man, I love technology!

ASUS MB168B HD Portable USB-Powered Monitor with USB 3.0

VEYEM Portable Ergonomic Stand for Laptops

No comments: