Pages

Friday, April 1, 2016

Tomato Egg Noodle Soup: The Verdict


So, we received the Chinese Black Vinegar from Amazon yesterday.  It's hard to describe it, but it's a bit like malted vinegar.  So, for supper tonight, Amy made the tomato egg noodle soup that I talked about in a previous post.  As promised, I said I'd post how it turned out.

First of all, here's a picture of the final result:


You can see that the big three visible ingredients are just as the name of this dish implies: tomatoes, eggs, and noodles.  Also, there is chicken bouillon, sesame oil, Chinese black vinegar, and Chinese hot oil (very spicy!).

I ate two big bowls of this stuff.  It was very spicy, and the vinegar added a nice acidic taste, but not overly.  The eggs and tomatoes had soaked up a lot of the soup and were very tasty.  It's hard to describe, but this dish is very savory.  If you know what "umami" is, that's how I'd describe the taste.

I can imagine that a kid in China growing up eating this would think of it as a comfort food.  It almost reminds me of a dish my mom used to make that we called "spaghetti soup".  But, other than the tomatoes and noodles, that's where the similarities end.  The taste is totally different from Mom's spaghetti soup, which had a lot of garlic salt/powder taste and was best served with cornbread crumbled in it.

So, would I eat this again?  I'd have to say "Definitely!".  Amy said that it was very easy to make (if you watched the video in the last post, you can see that's true) so this may be something we can have as often as we like.

Anyway, I wish I could describe exactly how good this dish is.  Spicy, savory, and a splash of sesame oil make it a very delicious and interesting dish.  Now, I'm pretty full and need a nap!

No comments: